Went camping w/ ATM + Zach this past weekend. Because of burn bans, we couldn't go to our usual haunts, but tried something new by heading north toward Heber Springs. We ended up getting a spot by the Red River. There were a lot of people, which is a little off putting because we are accustomed to having whole campgrounds to ourselves OR sparsely occupied, but it didn't spoil our trip. Weather conditions ideal, got some walking in, saw wildlife, read, listened to the game on the radio, ate well -- it was a perfect 10. I really needed that!
The view from our site:
ATM/Zach:
Fly fishing:
Red River:
Turkey buzzards circling:
River grass:
Celebratory cigars:
For supper, I made chili + cornbread. (So as to not mislead anyone, I made the chili + cornbread in advance for supreme ease.)
The very best part of the meal was dessert, of course. Grilled peaches w/ cream. Heavenly. I now have a crippling addiction to them. And right when peaches are about to be out of season! So soft, warm, and sweet! I wish I had a little cinnamon to sprinkle on it, but it was still pretty amazing w/o it. Will certainly be adding cinnamon to the spice kit.
A little washing up:
We packed up for home right as the rain started coming down. Crossing the Greers Ferry Dam:
Went into town for a sleepy, rainy breakfast. Quite good:























6 comments:
I am in awe of those gravy bowls. Those are my kind of portions!
You guys know how to do it up. Chili, cornbread, grilled peaches! YUMMM! xo.
Dam pic makes me swell with home county pride.
You talkin' bout the damn dam pics?
in the storm, the damn dam pic looked dim.
Post a Comment